Match report: Finaghy FC 2 – 1 B United

Ballynahinch United travelled to promotion-chasing Finaghy in dire weather conditions.

The pitch was touch-and-go before kick off with one goalmouth holding a puddle of water but the referee was happy enough to proceed after some ground work.

It was United who had the early chances, Gregg Alisson barged through on the right and his cross found Robbie Lurring, making his 50th first-team appearance, but his header was miraculously saved by the goalkeeper.

United had the next chance when Naseem Ouldhamlat laid off David Kelly who danced through the defence to prod home in the box after just four minutes.

United faced an onslaught of attacks with the wind and rain in their faces but the defence of Greg Hall, Sam Lurring and Chris Coleman marshalled by Scott Brashaw kept the home side at bay.

In the second half, it was much of the same, with Finaghy controlling possession in their search for an equaliser but Stefan Graham stood strong in goal to deny them with some brilliant saves, whilst Gavin Crawford and Stuart McMullan worked tirelessly in midfield and United tried to exploit the space left behind on the counter.

With fifteen minutes remaining, Finaghy equalised from a corner that was eventually scrambled home.

With just five to go, United fell at the final hurdle. Sam Lurring cleared an effort off the line but Finaghy still managed to bundle it home for the winner leaving heartbroken Ballynahinch bodies strewn across the box.

The last five minutes saw Ballynahinch throw caution to the wind, with the wind, but couldn’t find the decisive final ball to grab an equaliser.

A great performance that we just couldn’t see through to the end.

Player of the Match: Scott Brashaw

Line Up: Stefan Graham [C], Greg Hall, Sam Lurring, Scott Brashaw, Chris Coleman, Stuart McMullan, Gregg Alisson, David Kelly, Naseem Ouldhamlat (Alan Patterson), Gavin Crawford (Graeme McMullan), Robbie Lurring.

Unused Sub: Luke Craig

Match report: B United Swifts – Kilmore Rec Reserves

Match postponed due to a waterlogged pitch following heavy rain.