Match Report: Ballynahinch United Swifts 2 – 1 Ballynagross Seconds

Ballynahinch United Swifts entertained Ballynagross Seconds at the Millbridge on Saturday last. Manager Alan Davis had to shuffled his squad due to a number of first team call ups and absentees however it gave him the opportunity to see some new faces and some players getting starting places for the first time.

From the start the Swifts settled quickly and played at a high tempo however it was the visitors who took the lead from the first corner of the game. Despite this set back the young Swifts team followed their game plan and were soon on attack and were level within five minutes when Gregg Allison beat the Ballynagross right back for pace to deliver and quality cross which Dave Griffiths slotted home.

Alan Massey and Aaron McCaffrey controlled central midfield opening up the game to both sides of the pitch. Graeme McMullan and Alex Burtney were providing the danger on the left wing with their superb linking overlapping and throwing in dangerous crosses.

Influential in creating the second goal was Craig Tate who pounced terrier like on a startled centre half and his poor clearance fell to Griffiths who struck a superb shot 25yrds out past a started goalkeeper.

In the closing stages of the first half Swifts keeper John McMenamin was called on to make several saves to prevent the half ending all square.

In the second half some adjustments to positions on the park for players ensured to all intent and purposes it was one way traffic as the Swifts tried to create a third goal to put the game out of the oppositions reach. New signing Niall Tyndall, Ben Onhua and Dylan Fitzpatrick coped with the Ballynagross breaks. McMullan who’d hit the bar earlier had another shot saved while Allison through some creative work went close twice but was thwarted by the Ballynagross keeper.

Massey and McCaffrey tried their luck from distance but that third goal proved elusive. New signing Lorenzo Fucas made a substitute appearance along with Blaine and Jay to keep the tempo going.

Ballynagross proved to be an extremely competitive team contributing to an exciting game that despite the Swifts superior possession defended resolutely whist being dangerous on the counter attack. In the end the home side managed the game well particularly in a final frantic five minutes to get take all three points and achieve their third victory of the season.

This weekend the Swifts travel to Kirkistown in the league.