Results 18/09/10

Abbey Villa 2-0 Ballynahinch United

Ballynahinch United II 5-0 Civil Service II

Ballynahinch United III 3-1 Dromara Village III

Ballynahinch United secured their first points of the season with a deserved victory over local rivals Dromara. The home side started brightly, controlling play from midfield and pushing forward at every opportunity. However, a resolute Dromara defence allowed only a couple of half chances and managed to keep Ballynahinch at bay, the closest to a goal being  Stephen King’s long range free kick which finished narrowly wide of the post.

The deadlock was broken just before the half hour mark when Darren McLernon found some space outside the box and drove the ball into the bottom corner of the net. The goal was reward for the hosts’ strong start and followed some excellent build up involving the whole midfield.

Despite falling behind it was Dromara who took the initiative. Ballynahinch defended well and absorbed the pressure with Paul Magennis, Ian Blackwood, Alan McKee and Richard Graham doing well to prevent Dromara from capitalising on their possession. However, just when it looked like they would go into half time with the advantage, Ballynahinch surrendered their lead. With Dromara moving the ball well a one-two allowed the forward through on goal where he made no mistake.

The second half began with both teams evenly matched and trying to push forward in search of a second goal. Again, chances were in short supply with both teams clearing their lines well and it took a substitution ten minutes after the interval to break the stalemate. David Magee, only on the pitch for a few minutes, was found unmarked at the back post with a cross from the left wing and he headed home to give the home side the upper hand.

Again, Dromara began to dominate but found a more determined Ballynahinch harder to break down with David Dunlop in particular standing out. Heading into the last twenty minutes it was Ballynahinch who upped their game and started creating chances, the best of which were David Dunlop’s header saved by the keeper and Gary McCracken’s header just wide of the net.

The match was over as a contest when Paul King, who was impressive throughout, outpaced the defender and lifted his header over the Dromara keeper to give Ballynahinch a two goal cushion and all three points.