Match Report: Ballynahinch United 3 v 1 Wellington Rec

Hunter double as United humble another of the Division 1B promotion chasers

United entertained promotion contenders Wellington Rec. at the Millbridge last Tuesday [26th April] as they continued their programme of end of season fixtures which has seen them show their very best form. On the previous Saturday United had dented the promotion hopes of Newcastle and there was a good representation of their supporters to see how this game would go. Fielding the same side that won at Newcastle Keith Hamilton’s side started brightly and took the lead on 15 minutes when Stuart Hunter crossed for Dylan Carberry to head home.

Carberry was on the scoresheet again after half hour mark however it was for the opposition when he was unlucky enough to see a defensive clearance ricochet of his shin and into the net leaving McMullan helpless.

Just before half time good build up on the left wing involving Cheevers, Brashaw and Hunter saw the latter thread a pass toward the on running Shaw which he could not reach however the Wellington goal keeper and a defender failed to deal with it and the ball found the corner of the net.

Wellington were a very experienced team and had United had been under a fair degree of pressure up to this point and in the second half they came out with a more direct game which made United more dangerous on the break. Dalton Tate made his return to the team after injury in the 60th minute and his impact was immediate. Some great passing between Millar, Crawford and Shaw led to Tate weaving his way through the Wellington penalty area. He passed to Hunter who dispatched the ball into the net to give the home team a 3-1 lead.

Wellington for all their efforts couldn’t breach United’s defence of Miller, Majury, Hayes and Brashaw backed up by Bryan McMullan’s excellent handling which provided the rock on which this victory was achieved supported in no small measure by an industrious midfield of Hunter, Wilson, Carberry and Crawford.

Matthew Shaw, Aaron Cheevers and second half replacement Ian McMullan worked tirelessly with their movement playing a massive contribution to what was another top class performance.