Match Report: Wellington Rec. 2 v 2 Ballynahinch United

United travelled to Millbrook, Larne for this league encounter with Wellington Rec who are one of the leading teams in the division this season. The pitch was in good condition and United were able to pick from a full squad. The opening few minutes were very much a case of both teams trying to size each other up however it was United who seemed to carry the biggest attacking threat and in the 10th minute they took the lead when Matty Shaw stabbed home from close in after a great cross from Aaron Cheevers. United continued to carry the biggest threat as they out passed a midfield and defence that struggled to close them down. The passing movements involving David Kelly, Dylan Carberry, Dalton Tate, Aaron Cheevers and Matty Shaw were excellent and they justifiably scored a second when Matty Shaw chipped the Wellington keeper from 25 yards. After this Wellington seemed to get a spurt of energy and for the last quarter of the first half they started to dominate proceedings forcing corner after corner. Try as they might they were we unable to stop the onslaught and minutes before half time they conceded a goal when a midfielder shot from the edge of the penalty giving Bryan McMullan no chance.

In the second half the United defence came under constant pressure with Dalton Tate, Ross Hayes, Scott Brashaw, Ben Wilson and Ethan Majury, who had gone to left back for the injured Stuart McMullan, having to work overtime to withstand their barrage of crosses. Not surprisingly Wellington equalised on the hour mark and although they did have a few other chances the defence held firm. It was not until the middle of the second half that United eventually got back into the game with their best chance falling to Stuart Hunter who had the ball taken off his head by a last gasp defensive clearance as he was about to head into an empty net.

The game ebbed and flowed over the remainder of the second half with Matty Shaw almost scoring again in the closing minutes when he almost connected with a cross from Dylan Carberry who was making his debut for the team. Ian McMullan and Gavin Crawford were introduced into the fray late on however United probably went away happy to have secured a valuable away point.

This weekend they entertain Bloomfield in a league fixture at Millbridge.