Match Report: Bloomfield 2 v 1 Ballynahinch United

United’s recent winning streak came to a sudden end at Bloomfield last Saturday and yet anyone watching the game would wonder how such a thing could have happened.

Bloomfield started brightly and took the lead on five minutes when a forward latched onto a loose ball and lashed it into the net from 20 yards.

It took United some time to settle down and on twenty minutes forward Ian McMullan had to be replaced by Aaron McCaffrey.

The visitors settled into the game and Gareth McMullan and Aaron McCaffrey both had decent chances to equalise but the Bloomfield goal keeper produced several top drawer saves.

In the second half United dominated proceedings and full back Alex Miller scored for the second week in a row when he was put through by Scot Brashaw.

United attacked a will with Greg Allison coming more into the game and going close on several occasions. Matthew Shaw had several good chances but again the Bloomfield keeper came to his teams rescue.

In midfield David Kelly saw a lot of the ball and threaded a number of passes through a beleaguered home defence while defenders Dalton Tate, Ethan Majury and Stuart McMullan came forward to add to the numbers in search of the goal that their general play deserved.

In the 80th minute United conceded a penalty which Bryan McMullan made a heroic attempt to save without success. The spot kick came from a throw in awarded by the home linesman which had clearly come off a Bloomfield player and which should have been picked up by the referee who was fairly close to the incident.

United piled everybody forward introducing defender Craig McMullan into the action to allow players to go forward including goalkeeper Brian McMullan. Despite their efforts United could not breach the Bloomfield defence which miraculously managed to repel them.

This was a disappointing outcome particularly because United created more than enough chances to have won this game.

This week United entertain Rathfern Rangers at the Millbridge.