Dunmurry YM 4 v 1 Ballynahinch United

United travelled to Napier Park, Dunmurry last Saturday for this league encounter with the local Dunmurry Young Men side who are currently sitting top of the league.

It was Ballynahinch United who started brightly with teenager Greg Allison providing a serious threat on the right wing however it was the home side who took the lead after fifteen minutes when their speedy left winger got one on one with Brian McMullan and lobbed the ball over the onrushing keeper.

United had the chance to equalise soon after when a Dunmurry defender was penalised for pulling Ian McMullan back at a corner however the usually reliable Gareth McMullan whilst placing his kick well did not give it enough power and the home goalkeeper was able to claw it away for a corner.

Dunmurry were a fairly combative and direct side relying primarily on their left winger and it was this player that was the undoing of United for the second goal. On the half hour mark he ran onto a long ball and seeing that Scotty Brashaw was going to catch him outside the penalty area he cut across the defenders path and in the resulting unavoidable tangle of legs he won a foul and a red card for the unlucky Brashaw.

Dunmurry scored their second when Brian McMullan was unable to hold a low ground shot from a free kick on what was a very wet and greasy surface that came through a crowded penalty area.

In the second half United faced what appeared an impossible task however a number of substitutions saw the introduction of David Kelly and new signing Simon McKenna saw a more attacking line up and within five minutes they pulled a goal back when Allison outpaced the Dunmurry keeper and rounded the keeper to shoot home.

United pressed for an equaliser and were always vulnerable to the counter attack and on the hour mark they found themselves 3-1 down when despite a great save from Brian McMullan the ball fell to a midfielder to slot home.

United soldiered on but in the last ten minutes they were reduced to nine men when Stuarty McMullan was sent off for another last man tackle which was extremely unlucky particularly as the referee indicated after the game that the forward was already on his way down before the tackle was made.

Despite what was a decent performance in difficult circumstances United are going to have to address the disciplinary issues that are ruining their season and which cannot all be explained away by poor refereeing.

United have no game this weekend and will not know their next fixture until the beginning of next week.