Ballynahinch United 1 v 1 Ballywalter Recreation

United continued their league programme with the league encounter against Ballywalter who like their hosts are sitting in a mid-table position. United’s squad included the return of JJ Carlisle and Ian Boal from suspension and Stevenson and Jackson from injury and work commitments respectively.

United started very brightly and took the lead within the first few minutes when Ian McMullan headed home from a free kick. They were unable to build on this advantage as the visitors managed to control the game with their physicality which would cost them dearly with the dismissal of a midfielder for a bad tackle midway through the half.  Efforts by JJ Carlisle, Gareth McMullan and Simon Jackson failed to increase the lead while Brian McMullan had to be at his brilliant best to repel several good efforts from the visitors speedy forwards. Ballywalter got their break just before half time when the ball broke from a corner to fall kindly for a forward who smash past Brian McMullan for the equaliser.

In the second half United enjoyed the majority of possession with Cheevers, Maxwell, Crawford and Stuart McMullan moving the ball throughout midfield however they could not find the openings for the forwards. Ballywalter were reduced to nine men on the hour mark when Ian McMullan was the victim of a vicious challenge from behind.

The visitors worked tirelessly to stop United getting scoring opportunities and they employed every tactic they could to waste time to hold onto what they had. Substitutes Ian Boal and Johnny Gibson were introduced and United almost scored with a header from Maxwell who perhaps had more time than he thought while Stuart McMullan looked to have scored with a superb shot but the Ballywalter keeper produced an excellent save.

United will have been disappointed not to have won this game however but for a few timely interceptions from defensive pairing Ross Hayes and Scott Brashaw they could have lost as Ballywalter posed a threat on the break.