Ballynahinch United 6 v 2 St Patricks YM

United entertained St Patricks YM at the Millbridge in this league game on what was a beautiful autumn afternoon. The visitors who were the champions of Division 1C last season came to the Millbridge on the back of a 100% record so far this season. The home team started brightly and had a few early attacks however St Patricks YM were well organised in defence and as the game progressed they moved the ball about well restricting United’s openings.

The home team had centre forward Simon Jackson back as were Ross Hayes and Scott Brashaw however manager Keith Hamilton kept faith in Ethan Majury at left back after a good performance last week while Gavin Crawford was missing through injury.

The United defence of Davy Boal, JJ Carlisle, Ross Hayes and Ethan Majury worked tirelessly to give Brain McMullan a relatively quiet afternoon. In midfield Ian Boal, Scott Brashaw, Aaron Cheevers and Lee Maxwell proved good support while also creating openings for strikers Jackson and Ian McMullan.

United took the lead in the 40th minute when Jackson pounced on a loose ball and directed it into the path of Lee Maxwell who placed the ball into the corner of the net to round off what was a good all round first half performance.

The second half proved to one of the most eventual at the Millbridge for some considerable time and was not for any home supporter who was of a nervous disposition.

The discipline of the visitors was very poor to say the least and they had tried the referee’s patience on a number of occasions and when a player kicked out in the United penalty area while his team mates were preparing to take a corner the referee spotted it and produced the red card.

Shortly afterwards poor marking in the United defence allowed St Patricks in claim an equaliser. United pressed forward and after good work on the right wing by Aaron Cheever’s the ball was dispatched into the net by Ian McMullan.

Further indiscipline followed and another St Patricks player was sent off however this did not stop them from equalising midway through the half to make it 2-2.

United won a free kick on the right wing and Johnny Gibson fired it into the penalty area were the alert Lee Maxwell touched it into the net for a 3-2 lead.

A third St Patricks player got himself for a foul on Stuart McMullan but miraculously United conceded a penalty however it kicked over the cross bar.

Paul King almost made an instant impact when he came on for the injured Ian Boal by side footing a cross narrowly passed the post.

Still a resilient St Patricks chased the equaliser and from a corner a great clearance by Brian McMullan saw Scott Brashaw sprint through to score and made it 4-2.

Soon after Johnny Gibson was sent down the left wing and he slotted the ball past the advancing keeper to make it 5-2 and moments before the final whistle the same player ran through again but this time selfishly placed the ball into the path of Jackson to tap home.

Overall this was a great win and performance with United deserving all three points however conceding two sloppy goals was disappointing.